Thursday, June 4, 2009

Don't do it, Brian

July 1st is a comin'.

Listening to Bob McCown, thought I'd revisit a previous post.

I have no problem with the Sedins twins, but I might if they end up playing for the team I support. Are we to believe these guys will contribute more in Toronto, where the process forward is several steps behind the organization they'd be departing? No chance. The Sedins are a notch below what most of us would consider NHL Stars. They're good, honest folks, but not what the Leafs need right now. Its not a Swedish thing, I just don't feel they're the right fit in Toronto. Okay, say for a minute they did sign here...and stunk. Wonder how they'd absorb and exhaust the media's BS? Vancouver's a tough place to play, but Toronto can be much worse if things don't go your way. The Sedins would offer double the target to pick on.

And at what cost?

Some believe Henrik and Daniel will ask for $12 t0 $14 mill combined, per year. Wow! And let's just forget about it. Brian Burke has to resist the urge to go berzerk with all of this new blue-and-white dough at his disposal and think of what's to come. I know I'm not alone when I say this: please save, Brian.

Better days ahead

The 2010 market is expected to bear much bigger, more delicious fruit. And hey, if the Leafs keep their cash under the mattress just one more year it could then be unearthed for the pursuit of Brampton's best: Rick Nash. Injuries, big ticket and all I'd take Nash in a heartbeat. And I know I'm not alone on this one either.

4 comments:

  1. Do it, Brian.

    Two point-per-game players. What, you'd rather fill the lineup with the Stajans and Mitchells of the world?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all for it. They've yet to hit the peak of their careers and who's to say which players will be signed and taken off the market between now and next July?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind Mitchell. I just don't believe signing the Sedins would be a wise investment. Lozza cash and a cap.. save for something else.

    I love a big splash on July 1st, but I'm willing to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We can sign the twins (we have $$$), and Kaberle, Kubina and Toskala are all coming off the books after this coming season. Which means we'll have money to sign one Rick Nash. Giggity.

    ReplyDelete