Thursday, March 8, 2012

Terms

I've been religious about listening to AM640's Leafs Talk after each game. It's a ritual that dates back years and years. Besides, Andy Frost is the effin' man. For me, his voice represents hockey. Leafs hockey. Now unfortunately, it sounds like something redundant and annoying. Well, not Andy specifically, but everything else involved with that show. So, I'm out. Last night my post-game Leafs Talk routine finally stopped. What's left to hear? What discussion? What, that might be encouraging? At this point its all nonsense. I don't need it. Hey, if there were things to change, options to consider, hope for the weeks ahead then I might still be dialed in. Smart and comprehensive discussion can help heal. That's just not we're getting at the moment. Bottom line: the Leafs just took "a break" when the chips were high. Now that they are way way down, it's my turn.

It's over

If you know me, you know I'm a Leafs supporter. I was born in Toronto and raised for part of my life in Cabbagetown, which is just "a blast from the point" from Maple Leafs Gardens. And if you know me, or follow me, I'm often critical of the Maple Leafs. On twitter, on average, my commentary is a mixture of admonishment and astonishment. Of late, for me, it's been the perfect tonic to help rationalize a less than perfect club-supporter relationship. My point? Despite what I do (TV Sports guy in London, Ontario), and my nightly ability to shoot straight up the middle, what's gone on, or down, with these Leafs twists my guts as much as it does the next full fledged fanatic or moderate moonlighter. This Leafs' non-playoff season is different from the others. It hurts more, because the postseason was RIGHT THERE. Then it disappeared. In years past it was always a distant mirage. A pipe dream. But just two weeks ago it was tangible. An achievement not just within grasp, it was there to be had. And now? Gone. So harsh. I didn't think I'd have to come to terms with it yet again. At least not now. Traditionally, I'm used to making my peace in December, and it's March. Well, perhaps at this rate it'll be too late to in one year's time?

Softies

Randy Carlyle has arrived as a 'tough as nails' type head coach. He's tough. His assistant is tough. His teams have been tough. And no matter how rough, the crew he's newly in charge of will eventually fill the mold. I'm encouraged by this, yet confused. Just how will this transformation from pushovers to "push'em overs" take place? The Pens were relentless in imposing their physical will on the Leafs. The Bruins went about it in brutal fashion. Those are contenders. The Leafs, as we discovered in February are pretenders, and lightweights. 

Pick a player

Here I go again picking on a guy who's down and out. Matthew Lombardi.... um, is NOT an essential piece to a Leafs future that includes success. For a club screaming out for more grit and toughness, let's face it, the speedy but diminutive Montrealer offers a mere whisper of what's required. Bless him. He's returned from concussion. He's a good guy and nifty forward, but doesn't offer enough impact in the role he plays. As the Leafs turn... into something stronger, better, and potentially a contender, I can't see Lombardi being part of things. So that's two gone. Oops, make that three: Armstrong, Lombardi and Connolly.

Related:
Busy week
Leafs Archive

No comments:

Post a Comment